Re: 10.0_RC1 on NVIDIA T400

On Fri, Nov 24, 2023 at 01:19:33PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> With modurar xorg it's not better.
> I get the same glxgear performances and mplayer is as slow.
> glxinfo -B gives:
>
> name of display: :0
> display: :0  screen: 0
> direct rendering: Yes
> Extended renderer info (GLX_MESA_query_renderer):
>     Vendor: Mesa/X.org (0xffffffff)
>     Device: llvmpipe (LLVM 13.0.1, 256 bits) (0xffffffff)

With help from Robert Swindells I could debug this, and in the end get
it work.
To make it short: I found that the sec2 engine is not starting properly,
which causes the kernel to return an error to Mesa when X starts, which
causes it to fallback to llvmpipe.

The HEAD linux code is a bit different in this area (sec2 engine startup)
and it's possible that it could help. But my linux test box has a kernel:
5.14.0-362.8.1.el9_3.x86_64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Tue Nov 7 14:54:22 EST 2023 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
which, if I got git exploration right, doens't have these changes.

I also found that we use the same firmware (nouveau/nvidia/tu117/) as linux,
exept nouveau/nvidia/tu117/sec2/ where the 3 files are different
(actually this is nouveau/nvidia/tu116/sec2/, the tu117 files are symlinks
pointing back to tu116/sec2).

With the linux files in /libdata/firmware/nouveau/nvidia/tu117/sec2/,
the kernel module, and Mesa, are working:
glxinfo -B gives
name of display: :0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
Extended renderer info (GLX_MESA_query_renderer):
    Vendor: nouveau (0x10de)
    Device: NV167 (0x1ff2)
    Version: 21.3.9
    Accelerated: yes
    Video memory: 4069MB
    Unified memory: no
    Preferred profile: core (0x1)
    Max core profile version: 4.3
    Max compat profile version: 4.3
    Max GLES1 profile version: 1.1
    Max GLES[23] profile version: 3.2
OpenGL vendor string: nouveau
OpenGL renderer string: NV167
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 21.3.9
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.30
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile

OpenGL version string: 4.3 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 21.3.9
OpenGL shading language version string: 4.30
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL profile mask: compatibility profile

OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.2 Mesa 21.3.9
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.20

and glxgears gives about 1350fps, which is similar to what I got from linux.

I'll check mplayer performances on monday; as I'm not in front of
the display for now.

Now the question: should I commit these 3 firmware files to our tree ?