Re: Emulate3Buttons support for X68k Xorg server

christos@ wrote:

> >The patch is attached and also in the following gist
> >(applicable both to HEAD and netbsd-9):
> > https://gist.github.com/tsutsui/6ebe82d74b11874b92b167769c312d52
> >
> >Note the original xf86-input-mouse driver's Emulate3Buttons
> >implementation is here:
> > https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-input-mouse/-/blob/xf86-input-mouse-1.9.3/src/mouse.c#L1876
> >
> >Comments?
>
> I am fine with it, but are you planning to upstream the emulate three buttons
> patch to Xorg?

Currently no.

The monolithic X68k server in xorg-server/dist/hw/netbsd/x68k
(and Xsun servers in xorg-server/dist/hw/sun) are our own porting
(by me) and I doubt upstream will import such monolithic Xserver
implementation for NetBSD specific Tier-II machines.

The Emulate3Buttons support is handled by the xf86-input-mouse
driver for the mainstream Xorg modular server. The driver supports
various mouse devices (including Linux evdev) so it looks there is
less motivation to refactor the Emulate3Buttons part as a module.

The "rewriting a magic three-dimensional array for a finate state
machine with proper named structures etc." part might be useful
even for the current xf86-input-mouse driver. But I wonder if
"no functional changes but just for readability for support of
rare mice without wheel buttons derived from ancient XFree86" is
worth for the upstream.

The upstream still has several monolithic servers like xquartz etc.
But currently only xorg-server/dist/hw/xwin has implementation for
3 button emulation and it uses a different (and maybe a bit incomplete)
implementation from xf86-input-mouse:
 https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/-/blob/xorg-server-1.20.9/hw/xwin/winmouse.c#L258

Thanks,

---