Re: default ctwm config thoughts

On Mon 21 Sep 2020 at 13:18:50 +0000, nia wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 12:34:38PM +0200, is%netbsd.org@localhost wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > does upstream ctwm include support for the keyword "startwm"?
> >
> > (Like restart, but start a different wm to take over).
> >
> > Regards,
> > 	-is
>
> I don't think so (at least `man  ctwm` doesn't reveal a function
> for this), but maybe there's an undocumented feature that does this.

The current release version (ctwm-4.0.3) has support for the --replace
option, which is the ICCCM way for a window manager to take over
from another. So it is "take control away", not "give control away".

Most other window managers also follow this protocol (twm doesn't).
See
https://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.6/doc/xorg-docs/specs/ICCCM/icccm.html#communication_with_the_window_manager_by_means_of_selections
https://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.6/doc/xorg-docs/specs/ICCCM/icccm.html#manager_selections

-Olaf.
--
Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert -- rhialto at falu dot nl
___  Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on