Re: DDC info refresh?

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 02:23:19PM -0400, Mouse wrote:
> It would also be enough if I could force the X server to run 1280x1024
> whether or not it has a monitor connected.  Under 5.2, I added options
> to the X server, one to capture DDC info to a file and one to provide a
> file to be read to provide DDC info if none could be obtained from the
> monitor.  This addressed the problem there.  But, under 8.0, the use of
> 1024x768 even with a monitor connected indicates to me that it's
> getting DDC, or moral eqvuialent, from the kernel instead of the
> monitor, so I am inclined to doubt the same approach would work.  (I
> can try it, certainly, but, based on the information I have now, that
> seems like an investment of my time with a low expected return.)
>
> Comments?  Thoughts?  If there is something else that this depends on
> that I haven't mentioned, just let me know.

This feels like it'd be really hard to use.

If I was working on this, I would aim for something like this:
- Report an event to userland upon a monitor hotplug.
Perhaps just "monitors changed, suggesting to re-probe" is fine.

Currently, powerd/pmf look like good candidates for transmitting such
events to userland.

- Have a small script that maps a monitor setup to a preferred
  resolution/layout.

In your case it will be "run this one hard-coded xrandr command".
But in the long run we could use this to have very comfortable handling
for scenarios where people connect another monitor.