Cyrillic glyphs in uxterm and urxvt

I'm having trouble getting Cyrillic glyphs to display using either uxterm or urxvt. I followed the instructions I found at https://www.codejam.info/2015/03/urxvt-terminfo-on-netbsd.html for installing the required terminfo stuff.

For urxvt, I get complaints of "Error opening terminal: rxvt-unicode-256color." when trying to start an ncursesw program known to work fine with Linux and FreeBSD in displaying Unicode.

For uxterm, I get good results when displaying Latin characters with diacritical marks and inverse punctuation (Spanish). For Cyrillic characters, I get question marks.

The program I'm working iwth is Frotz compiled against ncursesw. See https://gitlab.com/DavidGriffith/frotz for the project and https://gitlab.com/DavidGriffith/frotz/issues/134 for the BSD problems in particular. Two test Zcode games are in Issue 134: one in Spanish and one in Russian.

This is the tail end of a big overhaul of Frotz to finally add complete audio support to the curses interface, and considerably improve everything else -- especially the SDL interface. The last person to maintain the Frotz pkgsrc entry doesn't use NetBSD anymore, so I'm not sure if/how pkgsrc will get updated with this new release. I guess I could do it.

--
David Griffith
dave%661.org@localhost