Re: RFC: remove xsrc/xfree

dholland-tech@ wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 18, 2015 at 06:48:40AM +1000, matthew green wrote:
>  > this match up with these subdirs in xsrc/xfree/xc/programs/Xserver/hw:
>  >
>  > 	netbsd/arm32vidc/
>  > 	netbsd/alpha/
>  > 	netbsd/amiga/
>  > 	netbsd/mac68k/
>  > 	netbsd/dec/
>  > 	sun/
>
> Maybe just don't remove these directories yet? Presumably you can't
> build them without the old server, but if they're sitting there as a
> reminder they're more likely to get handled eventually.

Well mrg's subject line says:
>> Subject: RFC:  remove xsrc/xfree

For these poor TierII ports, "obtaining old server binaries" should work
to use Xserver even with X11FLAVOUR=Xorg environment.

Actually, NetBSD/atari 1.6.2 Xserver worked on NetBSD/atari 6.x:
 http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-atari/2014/03/19/msg000515.html
 http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-atari/2010/03/18/msg000461.html
 ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/tsutsui/atari/Xserver-atari.tar.gz

It would be possible to provide "X11R6 Xserver only" packages
like the above atari for all these ports, but it's another project..

One possible compromise is to copy these old
xsrc/xfree/xc/programs/Xserver/hw sources into
xsrc/external/mit/xorg-server/dist/hw blindly
because src/external/mit/xorg/server/xorg-server/hw/Makefile
has had (disabled) hooks for these old servers.

Note there are dumb tips about X11R6 vs X11R7 server API differences
(that I wrote when I worked on the X68k server):
 https://gist.github.com/tsutsui/9168939
 https://gist.github.com/tsutsui/f2661d3550c6323a13f1
---
Izumi Tsutsui