i386 radeondrmkms results

Following the thread starting here:

  http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-x11/2014/12/19/msg001444.html

I made similar adjustments to my GENERIC-based kernel config.  This just
amounted to commenting out the UMS "radeondrm" driver and un-excluding
the "radeon*" and "radeondrmkmsfb*" drivers.  I already exclude "pcdisplay0
at isa?" and "vga0 at isa?".  My sources are -current from approximately
201501091900Z.

The system is an IBM Thinkpad A31p with (reported by my UMS drm kernel):

[...]
acpivga0 at acpi0 (VID): ACPI Display Adapter
acpiout0 at acpivga0 (LCD0, 0x0110): ACPI Display Output Device
acpiout1 at acpivga0 (CRT0, 0x0100): ACPI Display Output Device
acpiout2 at acpivga0 (TV0, 0x0200): ACPI Display Output Device
acpiout3 at acpivga0 (DVI0, 0x0210): ACPI Display Output Device
acpivga0: connected output devices:
acpivga0:   0x0110 (acpiout0): LCD Panel, head 0
acpivga0:   0x0100 (acpiout1): Ext. Monitor, head 0
acpivga0:   0x0200 (acpiout2): TV, head 0
acpivga0:   0x0210 (acpiout3): Unknown Output Device, head 0
[...]
vga0 at pci1 dev 0 function 0: ATI Technologies FireGL Mobility 7800 M7 LX (rev. 0x00)
wsdisplay0 at vga0 kbdmux 1: console (80x25, vt100 emulation), using wskbd0
wsmux1: connecting to wsdisplay0
radeondrm0 at vga0: ATI Radeon LX RV200 Mobility FireGL 7800 M7
radeondrm0: AGP at 0xe0000000 64MB
radeondrm0: Initialized radeon 1.29.0 20080613
[...]

Booting the resulting drmkms-enabled kernel produced a panic in "cnopen()"
claiming "no console device".  This was odd as I've been using that
NFS-mounted root (and thus "/dev") directory since October 2012 and it
had a fully-populated set of device nodes.

Rebooting with my default (UMS drm) kernel produced a working display and
just to be sure, I re-ran "MAKEDEV all" in my "/dev" directory.  Looking
at the resulting device nodes, I mostly noticed several disk devices which
now had partitions above "h" (mostly the "xbd" devices for Xen).  Curiously,
"/dev/console" was newly remade.

Rebooting with the drmkms-enabled kernel didn't panic but now produces
a completely black display and unlike previous attempts there's no cursor
and the keyboard is inoperative.  Holding the power switch is the only
way to regain control of the machine.

One thing I noticed is that UMS radeondrm driver reports the chip as
"RV200", but both the UMS and KMS DRM drivers load "R100_cp.bin" instead
of "R200_cp.bin".

Everything seems to work with the UMS driver, but I can't even get a
working machine with the KMS driver.

Unless it has been fixed, booting with serial console will not provide
more information as the video output is completely disabled and driver
will spin forever looking for an active output.  It will be a while
before I can test that again.