Re: Fixing /etc for native X.Org

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 01:01:48AM +0100, Quentin Garnier wrote:
[...]
> [...]
> >   | Now, as for the debate that will surely arise as to whether or not
> >   | postinstall(8) should have embedded information, I'll say that
> >   | postinstall ships with the base system, in base.tgz, so it has to
> >   | match said base system, so generating it is ok.
> >
> > Except that X11 system may be installed separately (after) the base
> > system, or may even be changed.
> > (Or does the selection of MKX11 vs MKXORG change the base build?)
>
> Well, there is the issue of sshd and ssh invoking xauth.

So yes, X11FLAVOUR does change the base build in that one place.

[...]
> > * For "postinstall from $SOURCE", we'd need to do some smarts
> >   about invoking make(1) and determine the build settings
> >   of MKX11 and MKXORG.   Doesn't etcupdate(8) have some useful
> >   and robust code for that?
>
> That code is not that robust.  We have to make sure all the variables
> are passed down to the make which is invoked.  And in the typical run
> of build.sh install=/, you're told to run postinstall in a certain way;
> if you had -V arguments to build.sh, they need to be passed down there
> too.

In addition to that, I've spent a bit of time on it today, and
etcupdate(8)'s mechanism is _not_ the way to go.  It's far from robust,
and notably won't deal with a read-only source tree.

[...]
> There's a thrid option:  using /usr/X11 everywhere and providing a
> symlink to either X11R7 or X11R6 depending on the settings.  That would
> remove the need for most of my original patch.

Any other opinion on that?  That would avoid generating the rc.d scripts
and solve the problem Once and For All, just as we should drop a big ice
block into the ocean to solve global warming.

The one trouble with generating postinstall(8) is that src/Makefile
invokes the file in the source tree rather than the generated one, but
that can be changed easily enough.

--
Quentin Garnier - cube%cubidou.net@localhost - cube%NetBSD.org@localhost