Re: xorg 1.4.90 (and onwards) and xkb / ddc problem

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 21:15:26 +0200
Vincent <10.50%free.fr@localhost> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> is there anybody knowing the arcanæ of configuring xkb for xorg starting
> at version 1.4.0? While I managed to get my keyboard working, I have
> lost autorepeat and capslock led. Worse, upgrading to 1.4.90, I found no
> way to switch my keyboard in AZERTY mode, even the merest "xkbdload fr"
> turned out to yell an unexpected and frustrating "error while loading
> keyboard description" or something near.

Did you rebuild xf86-input-keyboard and xf86-input-mouse after
updating? I think that is required. Where does xkbdload come from?
Try this in xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
 Identifier "Keyboard0"
 Driver     "kbd"
 Option     "XkbRules"  "xorg"
 Option     "XkbModel"  "pc105"
 Option     "XkbLayout" "azerty" # or "fr"
EndSection

> Unrelated, but relevant to 1.4.90 (the version in -wip), the DDC option
> ceased to work with the intel driver (v. 2.2.1). It seems the Xorg probe
> gets stuck. Drawback: without DDC, I can't get the suitable resolution
> for my screen.

I think this is a known problem. Simply adding a ModeLine directive
makes the server spin at 100% CPU. You may be able to add and enable the
mode at runtime with xrandr(1), though. (It worked for me.)
Also xf86-video-intel-2.3.0 might solve the DDC issue.

Cheers,
-Tobias