Re: xf86-video-intel 2.2 & DRM & i82G33 chipset

On 19/02/2008, Piotr Adamus <PanPiotrAdamus%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> Vincent <10.50 <at> free.fr> writes:
>

> > Hi there,
> >
> > I am following up the previous thread on xf86-video-intel-2.2 and DRM. I
> > have received at work a brand new Dell machine with a Nvidia NV50
> > PCI-Xpress graphic card that I unplugged today, since I could not
> > achieve more than 2 fps of video with mplayer or xine (on a Core 2 duo
> > machine!), the nv driver lacking Xv support and the nouveau driver
> > "étant trop nouveau" to support NV50 chipset. After giving away the
> > Nvidia card to some happy colleague, I got back the integrated chipset
> > graphics driver, a 82G33, which works like a charm in 2D and with Xv.
> > Performance must have increased by a factor of 100 at least.
> >
> > So much with that. I am considering setting up the DRI. At present, I
> > have just updated the PCI database, so I get a nice:
> >
> > i915drm0 at vga1
> > info: [drm] Intel 82G33 (unit 0)
> > info: [drm] AGP at 0xd0000000 256MB
> > info: [drm] Initialized i915 1.5.0 20060119

Looks OK, but you should get the interrupt level message when starting X.

> > But I am totally unsure what to do next, if there is anything to do. The
> > DRI does not work, but I have not yet applied Yoris patches, so this is
> > normal. A priori, is there anything to do beyond this?

I haven't seen yet DRM working *without* Yorick's patches, YMMV.

> > Thanks
> > Vincent
> >

> Hi Vincent,
>
> welcome.
>
> To make it works (DRI) firstly you must have X server installed in poroper
> version (I'm afraid that native within  NetBSD won't ever work). Please try
> compilling modular-xorg-server and than MesaLib-dri (from pkgsrc-wip). If you
> manage with new xorg and mesa-lib-dri, there is one thing left- see man drm (I
> assume that you're using current NetBSD, there you'll find recpie how to
> create /dev/dri/card0 [I can't recall it now, sorry]).

mkdir /dev/dri ; mknod /dev/dri/card0 c 180 0 (AFAIR - see above;
can't check right now as my laptop is being booted from a Indiana
Preview 2 live CD - impressive stuff, BTW);

chmod 0660 /dev/dri/card0

modular-xorg 1.3 should do the job; 1.4 is good as well, but if you go
this way, you will have to change many packages' Makefiles (adding
references to buildlink3.mk for libXdamage, libXcomposite and pixman
here and there).

On my Intel 945 I was unable to get the latest Intel 2.2 driver to
play game, so I am still back to 2.1.0 (there should be something in
tech-x11 archives from the last few weeks).

Xorg -configure should make the right (almost) xorg.conf for you;
perhaps disable AIGLX and composite to begin with (as per the man
page).

> And I'm sure that this is all you must do to have DRI working.

Keep fingers crossed ... if you get a black screen with a blinking
cursor in the top-left corner with no way to break into debugger or
ssh, may be you also should try the older version of the
xf86-video-intel driver, as myself.

> rgds,
>
> Piotr Adamus

Cheers,

/dev/random says:
        I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
Chavdar Ivanov   | Talbot Way, Small Heath Business Park
Delcam UK        | Birmingham B10 0HJ, United Kingdom
Customer Support | (+44)121-6831014