Subject: font problems after system update
To: None <tech-x11@netbsd.org>
From: Jukka Salmi <j+nbsd@2006.salmi.ch>
List: tech-x11
Date: 09/14/2006 15:40:33
Hi,

I just built and installed a current NetBSD/i386 release including
XFree86. This somehow broke some fonts; all font.dir and font.scale
files in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/{Type1,TTF,local} were "zeroed":

$ cd /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts
$ for d in Type1 TTF local; do cat $d/fonts.dir $d/fonts.scale; done
0
0
0
0
0
0

(While `Type1' and `TTF' contain only the fonts from the official
release, `local' contains some PCF fonts I put there some days ago.)

Running `mkfontscale $dir; mkfontscale -b -s -l $dir' (using mkfontscale
from /usr/X11R6/bin) for all three directories seems to have fixed the
problem.

Hmm, what could have caused this regression? And why were only three
font directories affected, i.e. why were the font.{dir,scale} files
in other font directories generated correctly?

TIA, Jukka

--
bashian roulette:
$ ((RANDOM%6)) || rm -rf ~