Subject: Re: integrated radeonfb driver
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
List: tech-x11
Date: 08/16/2006 16:23:05
Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Aug 2006, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
>> Take a look, and pass it on.  The relevant bits are in radeon_bios.c.
>
> Um, how to use this from a user's perspective?
>

>  - Hubert

My message wasn't meant to imply that it is ready for a "user" just
yet.  The BIOS parser is, at this time, mostly an item of interest for
developers working with radeon support.

However, it should be possible to make the radeonfb itself work by
configuring it as with any other framebuffer.  There is almost certainly
stuff that will break on PCs (mostly because I've not bothered to try it
out on PCs), and as it stands now, the radeonfb is probably incompatible
with any X11 which expects to be able to directly map registers via
mmap().  (It stands a very good chance of working with Xwsfb, though
I've not gotten around to testing it.)

At this point in time, if you're not pretty confident about what all
this means, then I'd wait for the stuff to settle down and mature a bit
before have a go at it. :-)

General Dynamics C4 Systems
http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/
Phone: 951 325-2134  Fax: 951 325-2191