Subject: Re: xorg - help needed
To: Michael Lorenz <macallan@netbsd.org>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-x11
Date: 08/07/2006 22:54:23
On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 03:36:29PM -0400, Michael Lorenz wrote:
> Anyway, I think it's time to start getting it into NetBSD's build
> process - something I don't have much of a clue about.

It is pretty easy to do, albeit boring work. You need a build log of the
native build for each arch that you convert, but I think it only makes sense
for volunteers to work on it after we decided how to proceed in general and
did a working conversion for one arch.

> I also have no
> idea if there's anything missing for i386/amd64 - I don't have either
> hardware.

I have both but couldn't get my amd64 X working yet - maybe xorg is a good
chance for that ;-)

The question is how to do this, from a repository point of view. We could
create a macallan-xorg branch that covers src/x11 - or we could could
force things and just start converting src/x11 to xorg (i.e. break it for
all unconverted archs) after the 4.0 branch has been created. The political
correct way, of course, is the former, but I wouldn't mind doing the latter.

I volunteer to help doing the conversion at least for some archs that I
can test (sparc64, i386, amd64 - if amd64 X works with X.org for me), and
I suggest that we start with a known working one, i.e. sparc64.

If we get this done and tested for all supported archs, it would make a
great pullup to 4.0, IMHO.

Martin