Subject: Re: definition of xf86LoadVBEModule() macro missing from xfree/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/vbe/vbe.h?
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-x11
Date: 08/05/2006 16:44:54
--pgp-sign-Multipart_Sat_Aug__5_16:44:51_2006-1

At Sun, 30 Jul 2006 12:04:51 +0200,
Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
>=20
> You are right in that there is a problem, but there is no build error
> (hence why it went unnoticed for so long).  The problem only appears
> at run time with a warning message that I had not noticed until now:
>=20
> Symbol xf86LoadVBEModule from module
> /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/nv_drv.o is unresolved!

Well the build does fail immediately if one links with -static.  ;-)

That's one, albiet relatively minor, reason why I do like to link
everything statically for my systems.

Until the dynamic linker is fixed to have an option to force it to fail
if any symbol remains undefined (or there are other potential load-time
problems, such as multiple definitions, etc.) then I think it would be
very wise for someone other than myself (perhaps even the automated
builds) to do at least one complete static-linked build for at least
some architectures.

> The fix is trivial: just revert the offending line to what it was (a
> call to xf86LoadSubModule).  I'm now testing the fix locally
> (attached).

Thanks very much!  All seems OK with static xsrc-current builds on 1.6.x
now (though I don't think I have any hardware to test if the module
acutally works).

--=20
						Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098 W:+1 416 489-5852 x122 VE3TCP RoboHack <woods@robohack.ca>