Subject: Re: Unmapped key on my ibook late 2004
To: None <zul@netbsd-fr.org>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: tech-x11
Date: 11/23/2005 14:25:02
Hello,

> I own a late 2004 ibook and I plan to play with NetBSD on it.
> Xfree from  tree seems to work. But I have a few key which are
> not mapped ( ie xev doesn't show any signal when I press the key ).
> Note that the key is mapped correctly on wscons ( with keycode 10 ).
>
> The keyboard is a french canadian keyboard.
>
> My Xfree configuration about keyboard is the following
>
>   Option "XkbRules"   "xfree86"
>   Option "XkbModel"   "ibook"
>   Option "XkbLayout"  "fr"
>
>   Option "Protocol"   "wskbd"
>   Option "Device"     "/dev/wskbd"

Well, which version of NetBSD are you using? And you left out the
interesting part here - which keyboard driver do you use? kbd or
keyboard?

> I try to use xorg too but can't launch it ( error = Fatal server
> error:
> xf86MapVidMem: could not mmap screen [s=80000,a=90000000] (Invalid
> argument) even with option OFB_FAKE_VGA_FB.

The address in the error message is NOT the VGA framebuffer so
OFB_FAKE_VGA_FB won't help.
Please check your XFree86 log ( in /var/log/ ) - if XFree messed with
the PCI BARs you'd get this sort of error since the console driver
checks the address ranges that belong to the graphics controller only on
startup, if something changes them afterwards mmap() will fail.

have fun
Michael