Subject: Re: XFree86 and macppc
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: tech-x11
Date: 12/06/2004 07:12:53
Hello,

> > So, to clear things up - the legacy framebuffer shouldn't be accessed on
> > anything that doesn't use the VGA text mode
>
> Agreed - and I thought the "not using VGA text mode" could be easily infered
> from a missing BAR (on sparc64, all VGAs I've seen had one too few, that's
> why vga@pci does not even attach - I have no idea if that's true for macppc
> too).
No, even on PCs there is no BAR for the legacy framebuffer - only for the big linear one. ( as far as I remember, it's been quite a while since the last time I touched a PC )
vga* at pci? doesn't attach on macppc because some bus_space functions/macros aren't implemented, adding them may get it to work but I suspect it expects some firmware to put the card into legacy mode which isn't going to happen on a Mac or a SPARC but should be standard on a PC.

have fun
Michael