Subject: Re: Weird xauth problem
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-x11
Date: 10/13/2004 21:43:03
On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 10:07:32AM +1000, Luke Mewburn wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 08:22:04AM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
>   | I know a few other people have seen this with Firefox and the version
>   | of X11 presently on the 2.0 branch, but I have no idea what the cause
>   | might be.
>   | When I start firefox-gtk2 I get this:
>   |     $ firefox-gtk2
>   |     Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
>   |     Xlib: XDM authorization key matches an existing client!
>
> I see the same problem with 'firefox' built recently.
> I gave up and went back to mozilla, which is what I do every time
> I try one of these fashionable browsers and find they don't work
> (firefox, konquerer, galeon, ...); my laptop is fast enough that
> the "bloat" of mozilla doesn't freak me out.

My concern is that this does not seem to be limited to firefox; it
is just easy to make the symptom *appear* with firefox.  There is
something about how firefox is using Xlib that causes authentication
to go all awry, and possibly causes other X server chaos later on,
including subsequent X servers not starting!

I don't know what this is.  I do wish I were making any more progress
figuring it out, but I do not have the time to go tracing through
firefox, and probably then xlib and the x server, from the failure
point. :-(