Subject: Re: XFree86 4.4.0
To: Juliusz Chroboczek <jch@pps.jussieu.fr>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
List: tech-x11
Date: 03/12/2004 13:50:13
At 01:26 PM 3/12/2004, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
>Dear Mr. Scheler,
>
>A lot of us XFree86 developers are rather unhappy with the new
>licence, and were hoping for OS vendors to strenghen our hand by
>refusing to import 4.4.0 in their trees.

There is nothing in the new XF86 license that doesn't already
exist in other licenses in NetBSD.  Since we don't object to them,
what should cause us to consider the XF86 license to be any different
than them?

>I personally take your importing of 4.4.0 into NetBSD as a very
>disappointing lack of support.

A lack of support of what?  The GPL?  The NetBSD Project itself
doesn't encourage use of the GPL.  In fact, when we can we replace
GPL'ed software with non-GPL'ed software.  Given that, how can our
stance on the new XF86 license be disappointing?

[I am speaking strictly as an individual and not in any official capacity.]

--
Matt Thomas                     email: matt@3am-software.com
3am Software Foundry              www: http://3am-software.com/bio/matt/