Subject: Re: XFree86 4.4.0 has been released
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-x11
Date: 03/01/2004 15:09:12
On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 12:51:16PM +0000, Matthias Scheler wrote:
> My understanding is that it is still a BSD-style license. But it is not
> clear wether it is still GPL compatible. And the later one isn't an issue
> for the NetBSD project.

Exactly. We always acknowledged the XFree86 project pretty prominently in
the release documents, and if some vendor redistributes NetBSD including
X, it just adds another clause to the list he already has to acknowledge.

Martin

Don't believe the rumors, look yourself:

    http://www.xfree86.org/legal/licenses.html

Therein you'll find this:

What is the difference  between 1.0 and 1.1?

The first difference is that both the source code and the binary
redistribution are now explicitly addressed, because the original 1.0 license
failed to clarify what it meant when it referred to "the Software".
Traditionally, "software" in the free software world meant "source code".
However, our license allows binary-only redistributions, and there is no
provision under the 1.0 license that specifically covers our licence notices
reproduction in those cases.

The second difference is that the new license, unike the old one, explicitly
requires that the copyright holders and its contributors be acknowledged in
the end user documentation which accompanies redistribution, in the software
binaries itself.