Subject: Re: Preserving local configuration on X11 upgrade
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-x11
Date: 01/23/2004 20:55:03
>   | Personally I would install the 'master' copies of these files into
>   | a different directory, then have a script that runs after the set is
>   | installed and copies them into place if the files don't already exist.
>
> Why implement this solution for X11's config when we don't do this
> for /etc (et al)?

Maybe because what we do for /etc is sub-optimal!
It would be nice to save sysinst handle updates of /etc properly, however
neither /usr/sbin/etcupdate, nor /etc/postinstall help sysinst.

> We use etc.tgz to "bootstrap" /etc for a good reason...

Except that it contains a load of fixed scripts as well as config files :-)

> BTW: even if we did the "symlink from /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/* -> /etc/X11/*"
> solution, we still need to provide this "bootstrap" functionality,
> which is exactly why I suggested an Xetc.tgz set.

You do need the 'master' files, but I think it would be better if they
installed in a separate location so can be used for a compare (possibly
3-way) with the existing 'in use' files.

>   | Then 'splatting' the existing configuration can be done on user request
>   | and at any time.  The script needs to be part of the set that contains
>   | the file, but could be run automatically by sysinst.
>   | Maybe we could call the script 'postinstall' :-)
>
> etcupdate is probably more appropriate for that particular purpose.

I was thinking of SVR4 packages, not /etc/postinstall.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk