Subject: re: Preserving local configuration on X11 upgrade
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-x11
Date: 01/23/2004 01:30:20

   I currently work around this problem for xdm & xfs by storing my
   local configuration in /etc/X11/*, and using the following rc.conf
   variables:
   	xdm=YES
   	  xdm_flags="-config /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config"

i have done this for a long time.  most of the files in /etc/xdm
(for me) are also symlinks to elsewhere.

      1.	Move the files that are likely to be modified
   	by the end user to a new set "xetc.tgz", and
   	only install these files in with "make distribution"
   	instead of "make install".
   	Enhance postinstall and etcupdate to support upgrading
   	changed files as necessary.
   	I've attached a list of files that I've identified
   	that are candidates for this.
   	This is my preferred solution.

at least initially, this seems like the best option.

.mrg.