Subject: Re: netbsd 1.6t / i830 driver: getting back to text mode after X exits?
To: None <tech-x11@netbsd.org>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
List: tech-x11
Date: 06/22/2003 23:03:57
--XFI+TFG+M3u0jUjZ

On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 08:55:51PM +0000, Matthias Scheler wrote:
> Marshall Rose <mrose+mtr.netnews@dbc.mtview.ca.us> writes:
> > what i am unable to determine is where a fix should go. is this is
> > an xfree86 i830.c problem or a netbsd agp.c problem or ...
>=20
> My guess it that is an agp(4) problem because this driver is known to
> be buggy. If you are an experienced C programmer you could compare the
> i830 support in FreeBSD and NetBSD. Maybe you'll find something there
> which our driver gets wrong.

many XFree86 drivers seem to have this problem.  non-agp cards as well.
it's a problem of Xfree86 4.x drivers.  there are several tickets in
their bugzilla for similar issues, especially on *BSD systems, since
linux seem to do it differently and the console driver rests the palette
(that is probably the reason why there are so many buggy drivers because
they are mostly developed on linux).

regards,

--=20
-- Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>                   --