Subject: PIC libraries and pr/20352
To: None <tech-x11@netbsd.org>
From: Nick Hudson <skrll@netbsd.org>
List: tech-x11
Date: 06/02/2003 23:35:37
Unless someone has a better idea I plan on adding DoPicLib support to

	xc/config/cf/Library.tmpl

The idea is to create static libraries of objects compiled with -fPIC(if
needed) with the name template libfoo_pic.a in much the same way as
bsd.lib.mk does.

My current thinking is to enable DoPicLib for only those libraries that don't
have DoSharedLib set, i.e.

	FS
	FontEnc
	GLw
	Phigs
	Xau
	Xdmcp
	Xres
	Xinerama
	Xss
	XvMC
	xf86dga
	xf86misc
	xf86rush
	xf86vm

Although obviously DoPicLib could be set for all libraries if required.

There is the option of defining StatcNeedsPicForShared (for all platforms
except vax and mips), but this has the disadvantage that these X libraries
would have to be special cased in libtool, autoconf, etc...

Thoughts?

Nick