Subject: XFree86 4.3.0 lossage
To: None <tech-x11@netbsd.org>
From: Sean Davis <dive-nb@endersgame.net>
List: tech-x11
Date: 03/04/2003 04:18:33
So I've upgraded to XFree86 4.3.0 from xsrc (from 4.2.1 from xsrc) and now X
is totally unusable. I think the build does something new now with an app
called 'makekeys' - because i found this in syslog -
Mar  3 21:32:46 eros /netbsd: pid 25249 (makekeys), uid 1000: exited on
signal 6 (core dumped)
Mar  3 21:33:52 eros /netbsd: pid 1675 (makekeys), uid 1000: exited on
signal 6 (core dumped)

the XFree86 build completed anyway, so I foolishly installed it. Now X
thinks any and every keystroke is either a command to switch virtual
consoles or a command to change screen resolution. My mouse works fine, but
the keyboard is totally hosed.

The system is NetBSD/i386 1.6P, I build/installed a fresh kernel and
userland before building and installing new XFree86. My XF86Config has not
changed since XFree86 4.0 - so does anyone have any idea what is going on
here?

(Here is the result of running X >>&! /tmp/xerr)

XFree86 Version 4.3.0
Release Date: 27 February 2003
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.6
Build Operating System: NetBSD/i386 1.6P [ELF] The NetBSD Foundation, Inc.
Build Date: 03 March 2003
	Before reporting problems, check http://www.XFree86.Org/
Module Loader present
         (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Tue Mar  4 04:17:03 2003
(==) Using config file: "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config"
expected keysym, got XF86_Switch_VT_1: line 8 of xfree86
expected keysym, got XF86_Switch_VT_2: line 11 of xfree86
expected keysym, got XF86_Switch_VT_3: line 14 of xfree86
expected keysym, got XF86_Switch_VT_4: line 17 of xfree86
expected keysym, got XF86_Switch_VT_5: line 20 of xfree86
expected keysym, got XF86_Switch_VT_6: line 23 of xfree86
expected keysym, got XF86_Switch_VT_7: line 26 of xfree86
expected keysym, got XF86_Switch_VT_8: line 29 of xfree86
expected keysym, got XF86_Switch_VT_9: line 32 of xfree86
expected keysym, got XF86_Switch_VT_10: line 35 of xfree86
expected keysym, got XF86_Switch_VT_11: line 38 of xfree86
expected keysym, got XF86_Switch_VT_12: line 41 of xfree86
expected keysym, got XF86_Ungrab: line 45 of xfree86
expected keysym, got XF86_ClearGrab: line 48 of xfree86
expected keysym, got XF86_Next_VMode: line 51 of xfree86
expected keysym, got XF86_Prev_VMode: line 54 of xfree86
The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
> Warning:          Multiple interpretations of "NoSymbol+AnyOfOrNone(all)"
>                   Using last definition for duplicate fields
> Warning:          Multiple interpretations of "NoSymbol+AnyOfOrNone(all)"
>                   Using last definition for duplicate fields
> Warning:          Multiple interpretations of "NoSymbol+AnyOfOrNone(all)"
>                   Using last definition for duplicate fields
> Warning:          Multiple interpretations of "NoSymbol+AnyOfOrNone(all)"
>                   Using last definition for duplicate fields
> Warning:          Multiple interpretations of "NoSymbol+AnyOfOrNone(all)"
>                   Using last definition for duplicate fields
> Warning:          Multiple interpretations of "NoSymbol+AnyOfOrNone(all)"
>                   Using last definition for duplicate fields
> Warning:          Multiple interpretations of "NoSymbol+AnyOfOrNone(all)"
>                   Using last definition for duplicate fields
> Warning:          Multiple interpretations of "NoSymbol+AnyOfOrNone(all)"
>                   Using last definition for duplicate fields
> Warning:          Multiple interpretations of "NoSymbol+AnyOfOrNone(all)"
>                   Using last definition for duplicate fields
> Warning:          Multiple interpretations of "NoSymbol+AnyOfOrNone(all)"
>                   Using last definition for duplicate fields
> Warning:          Multiple interpretations of "NoSymbol+AnyOfOrNone(all)"
>                   Using last definition for duplicate fields
> Warning:          Multiple interpretations of "NoSymbol+AnyOfOrNone(all)"
>                   Using last definition for duplicate fields
> Warning:          Multiple interpretations of "NoSymbol+AnyOfOrNone(all)"
>                   Using last definition for duplicate fields
> Warning:          Multiple interpretations of "NoSymbol+AnyOfOrNone(all)"
>                   Using last definition for duplicate fields
> Warning:          Multiple interpretations of "NoSymbol+AnyOfOrNone(all)"
>                   Using last definition for duplicate fields
expected keysym, got XF86_Switch_VT_1: line 51 of pc/pc
expected keysym, got XF86_Switch_VT_2: line 55 of pc/pc
expected keysym, got XF86_Switch_VT_3: line 59 of pc/pc
expected keysym, got XF86_Switch_VT_4: line 63 of pc/pc
expected keysym, got XF86_Switch_VT_5: line 67 of pc/pc
expected keysym, got XF86_Switch_VT_6: line 71 of pc/pc
expected keysym, got XF86_Switch_VT_7: line 75 of pc/pc
expected keysym, got XF86_Switch_VT_8: line 79 of pc/pc
expected keysym, got XF86_Switch_VT_9: line 83 of pc/pc
expected keysym, got XF86_Switch_VT_10: line 87 of pc/pc
expected keysym, got XF86_Switch_VT_11: line 91 of pc/pc
expected keysym, got XF86_Switch_VT_12: line 95 of pc/pc
expected keysym, got XF86_Ungrab: line 135 of pc/pc
expected keysym, got XF86_ClearGrab: line 141 of pc/pc
expected keysym, got XF86_Prev_VMode: line 147 of pc/pc
expected keysym, got XF86_Next_VMode: line 157 of pc/pc
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/, removing from list!

--
/~\ The ASCII
/ \ Email!