Subject: Re: XF430 debugging advice needed
To: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
From: David Hopper <dhop@nwlink.com>
List: tech-x11
Date: 03/02/2003 15:48:31
Nathan J. Williams wrote:
> David Hopper <dhop@nwlink.com> writes:
>>
>>I've patched up alpha_video.c to build, but I've hit a snag in the new
>>scanpci code in XFree86 4.3.0 on Alpha.  Even just a nudge in the
>>right direction would be appreciated:
>
> Just a thought, but is your kernel built with 'options INSECURE', and
> is /dev/mem readable by the user running the X server? I ran into
> something like this a while ago and traced it to the lack of an error
> check in alpha_pci_io_enable() in bsd_video.c.

Yes; in fact, XFree 4.2.1 works great on this particular Alpha.  /dev/mem is
readable by my regular user's group.  All tests on 4.3.0 are done by regular
user and root (in particular this gdb output is run as root), which should
catch any permissions errors.

I'm pretty sure it's the new scanpci stuff.  It's a completely new, reworked
interface, and it seems macppc has problems with it as well.

>         - Nathan

Thx,
Dave