Subject: Re: Visual Modes
To: None <tech-x11@netbsd.org>
From: Al Urbaitis <avu@lanl.gov>
List: tech-x11
Date: 11/08/2002 07:50:40
>>"TrueColor" and "DirectColor"
Thanks Nate,Hubert and Stephen !

On a more or less related note...
I am running 4.2.0 on 1.6 using a
patched version of the nv driver
on a GeForce 2 Go chipset.

I am having a bit of trouble with a program
called IDL ( http://www.rsinc.com ).

Having a look at xdpyinfo, it seems my default mode
is TrueColor. A utility supplied with IDL indicated
that it thinks the current mode is DirectColor.

I wanted to be sure about what mode I was in so I elected
to insert the statement ....

Visual "DirectColor"

in my XF86Config file and tried to restart my Xserver.
Unfortunately my Xserver puked with the message...

(II) Setting vga for screen 0.
(II) Loading sub module "int10"
(II) LoadModule: "int10"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libint10.a
(II) Module int10: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
        ABI class: XFree86 Video Driver, version 0.5
(II) NV(0): Initializing int10
(WW) NV(0): remove MTRR a0000 - c0000
(WW) NV(0): set MTRR f0000 - 100000
(II) NV(0): Primary V_BIOS segment is: 0xc000
(--) NV(0): Chipset: "GeForce2 Go"
(**) NV(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
(==) NV(0): RGB weight 888
(**) NV(0): Default visual is DirectColor
(EE) NV(0): Given default visual (DirectColor) is not supported at depth
24
(II) UnloadModule: "nv"
(II) UnloadModule: "int10"
(II) Unloading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libint10.a
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

I would normally guess that this is the truth and that nv won't
do DirectColor. But when I look at xdpyinfo I get a feeling
that at least it thinks DirectColor is supported.

Could someone suggest what the default behaviour is
and perhaps a simple way to check for that behaviour...

xdpyinfo reports...
<snip>
screen #0:
  dimensions:    1600x1200 pixels (542x406 millimeters)
  resolution:    75x75 dots per inch
  depths (7):    24, 1, 4, 8, 15, 16, 32
  root window id:    0x3a
  depth of root window:    24 planes
  number of colormaps:    minimum 1, maximum 1
  default colormap:    0x20
  default number of colormap cells:    256
  preallocated pixels:    black 0, white 16777215
  largest cursor:    32x32
  current input event mask:    0x78607f
    KeyPressMask             KeyReleaseMask
ButtonPressMask
    ButtonReleaseMask        EnterWindowMask
LeaveWindowMask
    PointerMotionMask        ButtonMotionMask
KeymapStateMask
    SubstructureNotifyMask   SubstructureRedirectMask
FocusChangeMask
    PropertyChangeMask
  number of visuals:    4
  default visual id:  0x23
  visual:
    visual id:    0x23
    class:    TrueColor
    depth:    24 planes
    available colormap entries:    256 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xff0000, 0xff00, 0xff
    significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x24
    class:    TrueColor
    depth:    24 planes
    available colormap entries:    256 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xff0000, 0xff00, 0xff
    significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x25
    class:    DirectColor
    depth:    24 planes
    available colormap entries:    256 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xff0000, 0xff00, 0xff
    significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x26