Subject: Re: MD xsets
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-x11
Date: 09/19/2002 09:35:11
On Thu, 19 Sep 2002, Luke Mewburn wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 01:40:19PM +0000, Matthias Scheler wrote:
>   | In article <20020918204755.B5975@wiesel.intern>,
>   | 	Thomas Gerner <thomas@murmel.camelot.de> writes:
>   | ./usr/X11R6/lib/X11/etc/sun.termcap
>   | ./usr/X11R6/lib/X11/etc/sun.terminfo
>   | ./usr/X11R6/lib/X11/etc/xterm.termcap
>   | ./usr/X11R6/lib/X11/etc/xterm.terminfo
>   | I wonder if these files are necessary at all. It looks like we don't
>   | need "terminfo" and have "termcap" it the base system.
>
> Whether or not they're "X server related", at the moment the only MD
> x set we have is xserver.tgz.
>
> Speaking as a release engineer, we need to ensure that the sets are
> sanely split along MACHINE_ARCH shareable / machine independant /
> machine dependant lines.

> 	xserver		MACHINE specific X server, possibly containing all of
> 			the other MACHINE specific stuff (unless we
> 			make another set for it)

I believe it's not unusual to install all the X sets *except* for
xserver. That's enough to build (and run!) all kinds of X packages
(assuming you have another host running an X server). So, assuming
that the files in question are actually needed for something besides
an X server, they should go into a new set.

Frederick