Subject: Re: Window manager selection proposal
To: Chris Gilbert <chris@dokein.co.uk>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-x11
Date: 09/15/2002 07:52:30
On Sun, 15 Sep 2002, Chris Gilbert wrote:

> Bssically we provide an Xwmselect program that reads a list of available
> window managers (which pkgsrc updates)  the user then picks one, (has a tick
> box for if you want it to be the default) and hits ok, and up pops that WM.
> Note that if they set it as their default it will update their .xwmselect
> file.

But properly, don't you pick a session manager, then let the session
manager start a window manager (or not, if the SM happens to be a WM)?
So maybe it should be XSMselect, and include entries for programs like
"gnome" and "kde", but other than that fine point, it sounds like a
reasonable idea.

I've considered making a gnome-wms meta-package that fills the gnome
control panel's window managers menu with all the window managers it
installs, but that's a little different.

Frederick