Subject: Crashes in X 4.1.0, 4.2.0 on i386
To: None <tech-x11@netbsd.org>
From: Sean Davis <dive-nb@endersgame.net>
List: tech-x11
Date: 04/03/2002 20:33:36
Hi, I'm wondering what the deal is with all the instability in X 4.x lately.
When xsrc was 4.1.0, X _NEVER_ crashed, unless I ran quake3a-demo. Since
4.2.0 went in, X crashes periodically, but not often while I'm doing the
same kind of thing - so it isn't repeatable. Typically, X will crash at
least once every two days. I have since backed out to 4.1.0, because the
problem seemed more frequent in 4.2.0, but for the last couple weeks, 4.1.0
is behaving just as badly. My video card is a Riva TNT2 Vanta, if that makes
any difference. Does anyone know why this is happening, or possibly how to
fix it? I need X, and 3.3.6 is not an option due to the fact that it's at
least 30% slower on my TNT2.

Thanks,
-Sean

--
/~\ The ASCII                         Sean Davis
\ / Ribbon Campaign                    aka dive