Subject: new motif and old X server
To: None <tech-x11@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck Cranor <chuck@research.att.com>
List: tech-x11
Date: 02/17/2002 18:07:26
hi-

    i have some older systems running XFree86 3.3.6a and some newer
ones running 4.1.0 with all newly-compiled pkgsrc applications.

    i have noticed that my freshly compiled motif applications (running
on the 4.1.0 system) do not display properly on my older 3.3.6a X servers.
the problem is the fonts are not there.   for example see xmmix screen grab
at:

	http://www.netbsd.org/~chuck/mix.gif

same thing happens with "xmgr"...

    does anyone know why this happens and what i can do to fix it?

    on a semi-related note, there is definitely something wrong with the
s3virge driver in XFree86 4.   i have found that if i do a
"cat /usr/share/misc/termcap" in an xterm while playing an MP3, the MP3
audio breaks up with XFree86 4.   the problem does not occur if i replace
the XFree86 4 server with a 3.3.6a (leaving all other apps the same).

chuck