Subject: Minimal X-server ?
To: None <tech-x11@netbsd.org>
From: Jarkko Teppo <jarkko.teppo@er-grp.com>
List: tech-x11
Date: 06/20/2001 18:06:10
Hello all!

I'm looking for a small (memorywise) X-server for my tiny
486 laptop with 8MB memory and CT65540 chipset. I briefly looked
at KDrive but it didn't seem to fit the bill (it wanted either
linux framebuffer or VESA and I don't think the chipset has
VESA built-in).

So, now I'm looking for a way to compile a minimal server based
on XF86_SVGA. I was thinking of removing all the other chipsets
from the binary and removing unneeded extensions (PEX, input-tablets
and so on) and compiling it with -Os -march=486.

Now the problem with this is that I'm a complete neophyte regarding
xsrc and I have *no* idea what to edit. I found the chipsets belonging
to XF86_SVGA in xsrc/xc/config/cf/{netbsd.cf, xfree.cf} but I'm not
sure if modifying them is wise.

Another thing is that I don't know how to build just the server(s). That
crappy laptop is the fastest NetBSD-running-i386 I have at home
so I don't really desire to see how long a full xsrc build would last :)

(if anyone replies, please keep me on the CC-line)

Thanks in advance,
--
jht