Subject: How to install Xfree4.1
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org, tech-x11@netbsd.org>
From: Borchert, IT-IS S254, B <T.Borchert@deutschepost.de>
List: tech-x11
Date: 06/12/2001 09:15:20
Hi,

I do not know what is the best way of migrating to XFREE86 4.1 :
- deinstall all packages which require X, move /usr/X11R6 to /usr/X11R6.old
  and compile xfree 4.1 from source after downloading the tar-balls and then
  reinstall all pkgs from source. I did so and had no problems compiling it on
  a Cyrix  PR200 MX but I got a problem with xmms package, which wanted a mesa
  lib to install. I think, mesa is now included in X ?
- install over an existing installation of XFREE 3.3.6. Will all applications work with
  the new shared libaries ? There may be old files like the several X-Servers, which
  nobody then needs.

My system is Netbsd 1.5.1Beta2 on i386