Subject: Re: xfree4.0.2 does not install
To: None <tech-x11@netbsd.org>
From: Mario Kemper <magick@bundy.lip.owl.de>
List: tech-x11
Date: 01/07/2001 21:40:48
Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com> writes:

> On 7 Jan 2001, Mario Kemper wrote:
>
> > Problem is, that during install a symlink is created
> >
> > lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  34 Jan  7 18:58 /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults -> ../../../.././etc/X11/app-defaults
> >
> > and the above mkdir fails because of that. Anyone knows what to do?
>
> You're expected to move your old config directories, under
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/, to /etc/X11/ (see xc/RELNOTES-X.org).
>
> That plan sucks, IMO. All the search paths are still hard-coded to the
> old location, anyway, so I prefer to leave the installed files there,
> and only put customized files in /etc/X11/xdm/, /etc/X11/fs, and so on.

Me,too.

> Try putting, in xc/config/cf/host.def,
>
> #undef UseEtcX11
> #define UseEtcX11	NO
>
> There are some other candidates in Imake.tmpl in the same directory.
> Maybe, too...
>
> #undef NothingOutsideProjectRoot
> #define NothingOutsideProjectRoot YES
>
> In general, you should do a "make Everything" after editing host.def,
> or least "make Makefiles" at the top, but I think you may not need to
> just for this.
>
> Something suitable should go into NetBSD.cf, eventually, but host.def
> is "safe" to play with, as it's always left empty in the distribution
> just for this purpose.

That might work but the build process is broken by itself. A make install
out of the box will fail regardless of the preferences one might have where
to put the config files.

The make install creates at some point the link and does the mkdir at another
point.
--
Mario Kemper
magick@bundy.zhadum.de