Subject: Re: xfree4.0.2 does not install
To: Mario Kemper <magick@bundy.lip.owl.de>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-x11
Date: 01/07/2001 13:41:49
On 7 Jan 2001, Mario Kemper wrote:

> Problem is, that during install a symlink is created
>
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  34 Jan  7 18:58 /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults -> ../../../.././etc/X11/app-defaults
>
> and the above mkdir fails because of that. Anyone knows what to do?

You're expected to move your old config directories, under
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/, to /etc/X11/ (see xc/RELNOTES-X.org).

That plan sucks, IMO. All the search paths are still hard-coded to the
old location, anyway, so I prefer to leave the installed files there,
and only put customized files in /etc/X11/xdm/, /etc/X11/fs, and so on.

Try putting, in xc/config/cf/host.def,

#undef UseEtcX11
#define UseEtcX11	NO

There are some other candidates in Imake.tmpl in the same directory.
Maybe, too...

#undef NothingOutsideProjectRoot
#define NothingOutsideProjectRoot YES

In general, you should do a "make Everything" after editing host.def,
or least "make Makefiles" at the top, but I think you may not need to
just for this.

Something suitable should go into NetBSD.cf, eventually, but host.def
is "safe" to play with, as it's always left empty in the distribution
just for this purpose.

--

Frederick