tech-userlevel archive

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Old Index]

Re: Multiple null mounts with same parameters



    Date:        Sat, 03 Oct 2026 18:41:46 -0400
    From:        Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost>
    Message-ID:  <rmiy0ce76fp.fsf%s1.lexort.com@localhost>

I was going to reply to Charlotte's message, but this is
a better intro:

  | If someon has a scheme that mounts multiple things and unwinds the
  | stack, why should they get an error if two things match?

As I might have written before, I suspect, I use LOTS of filesystems,
and what's more, I mount and unmount them all the time, and I also use
null mounts, generally to provide a read-only portal into a read-write
mount for some script that needs just read access to the files - like
every time I do any kind of build.

So, I have scripts just like what Greg mooted might exist somewhere,
make a null mount, do stuff (in this case mostly a build), unmount
the null mount.   It would be irritating if that failed just because
a different build was happening at the same time - even worse if the
2nd mount was just treated as a no-on, in that case the 2nd build (which
might just be a quick one to test a change) might finish, and believing
it had mounted the null mount, unmount it - while the first one is
still running.

So, no problems with how things work, and no reason to change anything.

kre



Home | Main Index | Thread Index | Old Index