Re: compilers and unused args in functions

    Date:        Fri, 5 Jul 2024 10:20:23 +0200
    From:        =?UTF-8?Q?J=C3=B6rg_Sonnenberger?= <joerg%bec.de@localhost>

  | How do you know which functions take one argument and which two?

They all take two now.   That was the question (now answered) - what
should I do with the extra arg in those functions which don't need it
(have nothing sensible to do with it).

  | The cleanest method if you need to keep all of them in one table
  | would be a union.

As it happens, it already is one (for entirely unrelated reasons), I
could have added another function type to it, but then the code would
need to test which one to use all the time - and so get slower.   I know
not a lot slower, each time, but sh scripts tend to do a lot of assigning
to variables (which is where this is used) - any extra slowdowns in that
area are to be avoided if at all possible.

kre