Re: Issues with lseek(2) on a block device

> On Feb 25, 2024, at 12:29 AM, Robert Elz <kre%munnari.OZ.AU@localhost> wrote:
>
> ps: as a semi-related anecdote, the first system I ever personally
> installed any unix version onto (way back in the mid 70's) booted from
> a reel to reel (1/2" I think) tape - and by booted, I mean ran with its
> filesystems (or filesystem, everything was in one) on the tape (read only,
> naturally).

HP-UX install media on QIC-24 back in the HP-UX 7/8/9 days (earliest I have experience with) was also mounted as the file system.  It’s quite a trip to see (well, hear, anyway) a tape drive get randomly-accessed like that.  And, yah, it’s not fast.

-- thorpej