Re: Issues with lseek(2) on a block device

On Wed, Feb 21, 2024 at 09:20:55PM +0000, Taylor R Campbell wrote:
 > But it's a little annoying to make that happen because it requires
 > going through all the file systems that have device nodes and
 > convincing their VOP_GETATTR implementations to do something different
 > for block devices (and ideally also character devices, if they
 > represent fixed-size media too).

If I ever find time to follow through on my threat to reorganize the
way device vnodes work, that will get rid of this problem :-)

(and provide everyone a pony, too)

(if anyone's curious, not sure I've posted about it before, the idea
is to flip things so that the device logic sits on top of the fs-level
special file vnode; currently it's the other way around, so the fs
gets involved with all kinds of things it doesn't actually need to
care about)

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost