short reads on unix stream on netbsd-10

Hello
I upgraded a server from -8 to -10, and now rtty complains on heavy
traffic:
serv_input: read@3 need 468 got 396 (and disconnects).
The code is:
                if (i != (nchars = read(fd, T.c, i))) {
			fprintf(stderr, "serv_input: read@%d need %d got %d\n",
				fd, i, nchars);
			server_died();
		}

fd 3 is a unix stream socket
I didn't find any place where this file descriptor could have been put to
nonblocking.

I could wrap the read in a loop to work around this, but I wonder if it's
expected behavior to get short reads in this case ?