Re: Lua binding for curses

On Sun, Aug 06, 2023 at 04:34:44AM +0300, Valery Ushakov wrote:

Nice.  What is prior art in this area?  I know of

  https://github.com/lcurses/lcurses

though I never used it myself and don't know its status.  If it
already has adoption in the lua community, it makes sense to use it
and make sure it can be compiled against our curses.  Though that may
be less fun that writing your own from scratch :)

I didn't realize that prior art actually mattered...

I say this because our SQLite bindings in src/lib/lua/sqlite were
homegrown, despite the fact that official Lua-SQLite bindings
have always existed upstream:

http://lua.sqlite.org

I.e. I'm not sure how to handle the suggestion to import an upstream
library, when "the prior art" demonstrated in src/ with sqlite is to NOT
use upstream libraries.

Maybe the author of src/lib/lua/sqlite didn't realize that the offical
bindings existed. But at the same time, maybe it's a sign of what
NetBSD's stance *should* be regarding a situation like this. I don't
know.

At any rate, I'm not gonna let that unanswered question stop me from
plopping in my own bindings in the near term.

Charlotte