Re: Trivial program size inflation

Le Sat, Jul 01, 2023 at 03:00:21PM +0000, RVP a écrit :
> On Sat, 1 Jul 2023, Mouse wrote:
>
> > dlopen, that doesn't make sense to me.  For a statically linked
> > program, the linker can tell whether it calls dlopen et al.
> >

> Oh, I didn't mean the program needing to call dlopen() directly.
> libc itself may load shared objects to support things like i18n and NSS
> on an as-needed basis.

This is also what I meant by "static seems to be considered deprecated".

The libc (and the crt) depend on things one doesn't know or guess, and
you end up whether with a "static" binary that is in fact
dynamic---because there were missing features added by default as
dynamically shared libes---or a failure because you have not added
libes you didn't know about and that vary from system to system, and
from release to release.

The result is that people prefer to compile dshared because it works
by default doing things "magically"...

And only old guys like me still care about the size of the
executable... (But curiously enough, the "young" ones are always talking
about "ecology" and "saving the planet", while they don't care a hoot
about the memory, storing, energy, their use of software or their
softwares waste... I wonder from time to time if, for example,
"researchers" used the correct utilities for their papers about "global
warming" instead of some common huge beasts (proprietary or open source),
 we will not be in an ice age instead... )
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                    http://kertex.kergis.com/