mtree(8) vs mtree(5)

We have mtree(8) man page for our mtree that documents the format of
the mtree spec.  We also have an mtree(5) page that documents the
format of the mtree spec, but that pages comes from libarchive.  This
is kinda confusing.

What is the relationship between the two? (libarchive borrowed bsd
code? are they kept in sync?)  Can we drop the format description from
mtree(8) and rely on mtree(5) from libarchive?  Should we drop the
format description from mtree(8), move it to *our own* mtree(5) and
don't install mtree(5) from libarchive?  (We can document any
differences in our mtree(5) b/c we know/control both our own
implementation and also which version of libarchive we ship).

-uwe