Re: Proposed chown(8)/chgrp(1) enhancement

On Fri, Apr 28, 2023 at 11:25:03PM +0000, RVP wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Apr 2023, Paul Goyette wrote:
> > I propose the attached enhancement to chown/chgrp to avoid setting
> > a new user/group value if the desired values are already set.  The
> > change is pretty simple.
> I don't think we need a flag for this. I think what you're proposing
> should just be the default behaviour.
It probably shouldn't, since chown/chgrp clear SUID/SGID;
this change, as written, both (a) violates POSIX by no longer behaving
as-if XCU chown ran XSH chown(), and hence (b) changes existing behaviour.

OTOH if you add a
  && !(p->fts_statp->st_mode & 07000)
then that's probably fine.

Best,