Controlling Daemons (inetd or aunchd or relaunchd?)

Dear List,

I am Qingyao Sun, a student looking forward to participating in a GSoC
project for NetBSD this year. One project I am interested in is "Port
launchd" http://wiki.netbsd.org/projects/project/launchd-port/. I have
reached out to Christos Zoulas, the prospective mentor of that project, but
he said that replacing init/rc with launchd could be a little
controversial, and suggested me ask your opinions on the list.

Basically, I would like to make it easier to control general daemons on
NetBSD. I looked at previous efforts in this aspect, and noticed that a
GSoC project from last year enhanced inetd with the capability to babysit
general daemons
https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/programs/2022/projects/LDY5asp0z, so I
am not sure if launchd is still needed. That being said, I don't think the
inetd enhancement has been merged yet. Another project worth mentioning is
relaunchd https://github.com/mheily/relaunchd, which is a re-implementation
of launchd. Should we simply merge that into NetBSD?

Please let me know your thoughts!

Bests,
Qingyao