Re: mail(1) editline defaults to vi mode?

> I had to use mail(1) recently (after ~30 years break :).  To my
> surp^Wconfusion its editline inits itself to vi mode.

The real problem, here, is that line editing is being done in the wrong
place.  It should be done in the kernel as far as ordinary applications
are concerned, though it really should be in a user-specific userland
program (which is thus switchable, same as the shell is).

Admittedly, this is Not Simple to do right.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign