Re: split(1): add '-c' to continue creating files

> $ split -n 4 -c file; ls
> xaa xab xac xad xae xaf xag
>     --- ---         --- ---

> I don't see a way around that: split(1) would need to look ahead at
> _any_ possible file to be able to determine if the current file name
> falls into a hole in the sequence.

That isn't that hard to do, assuming the containing directory is
readable to the user running split, though there is still a race if two
split instances are writing with the same prefix in the same directory.
But _that_ race is pretty much unavoidable.

> If you think it's worth calling out, we could try to do so in the
> manual page: [...]

Could be worth doing.  Perhaps split could watch for this and (possibly
optionally) warn to stderr if it happens?

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign