Re: split(1): auto-extend suffix length

ignatios%cs.uni-bonn.de@localhost wrote:
> hi,
>
> On Sun, Jan 29, 2023 at 05:45:15PM -0500, Jan Schaumann wrote:
>
> > +	 * sfxlen by one, thereby yielding an additional two characters
> > +	 * and allowing all output files to sort such that 'cat *' yields
> > +	 * the input in order.  I.e., the order is '... xyy xyz xzaaa
>
> This recipe to join them will only work up to kern.argmax argument
> total bytes of file names

Yes. :-)

I've used "ls | xargs cat" in that case.  "cat *" was
used here as an easy illustration of how output is
kept in order.

I've also been reminded that operations on directories
with a lot of files get really slow quickly.  I wonder
if having split(1) offer an option to spit out files
into subdirectories might be useful...

> Other than that, sounds good.

Thanks - just committed.

-Jan