whereis(1) obsolescence

I'm working on making UEFI EDK2 (TianoCore) build on NetBSD.

One script is invoking whereis(1), expecting the Linux behavior,
differing from what we have left in base.

I have implemented the Linux behavior (that searches not an exact match
but a substring) with a script function, protecting its definition by a
"!command -v whereis" before discovering there was one in the path but
not making the job.

Since the current whereis(1) behavior can be emulated with less than
ten lines of sh(1) (including the handling of "-p"), wouldn't be
preferable to simply drop it since it does not do what the majority of
users (Linux scripts ones I think) might expect?
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                    http://kertex.kergis.com/
                       http://www.sbfa.fr/