Re: [Christos Zoulas] CVS commit: src/usr.bin/ftp

> On Sep 2, 2022, at 3:57 PM, Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:
>
> Did I miss discussion on this?  I am getting the impression that we now
> have defaults:
>  no trust anchors installed
>  require verification
>
> which really doesn't make sense.  If I am following correctly this is a
> major behavior change in a controversial area, which isn't ok without
> discussion/consensus.

I did not realize it was controversial, but let's have the discussion.

> Plus, this is a negative option, usually frowned upon.

grep NO_ /usr/src/usr.bin/ftp/*.c

> So (absent confusion on my part, as always), it sounds like one of the
> following should happen:
>
>  1) just revert this until we have discussion
>  2) change the environment variable to CERTIFICATE_VALIDATION to use the term
>     from the RFC
>        https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5280#section-6
>     and default to FALSE, enabling if set and TRUE.

I don't care much about the environment variable name, and yes calling
it what the RFC suggests is probably better.

> If at some point the system installs trust anchors by default, the
> default can change.

I think we should be installing the anchors by default. I also think
that people think that https gets validated by default.

> Plus, I think it's reasonable to have some config file in /etc/openssl
> that signals "user has configured trust anchors and wishes to routinely
> validate certificates".  The existence of /etc/openssl/VALIDATE might be
> a good trigger for validation, or some other color file.  That would
> mean that the code, running on a system with old config, would not be
> surprising.   Using this file now in option 2 instead of an environment
> variable seems fine.

That is a good idea.

christos