Re: sh(1) and ksh(1) default PATH

Robert Elz <kre%munnari.OZ.AU@localhost> wrote:

> In all of this we can adopt the attitude "all the users are morons and
> cannot make a decision, or configure things even if they knew what they
> wanted to configure, so we will decide for them" which some other systems
> are doing.
>
> That certainly makes it easier for the users who are morons (at least wrt
> operating system setup, whatever their accomplishments in other areas).
>
> But, IMO, for NetBSD, at least right now, those aren't the users we need
> or really even want.

I think it's short-sighted and unfair to equate lack
of experience with idiocy.

It's fine for the project to say that it doesn't cater
to inexperienced users, but the language above is
condescending and alienates at least some experienced
users as well.

However, even if the NetBSD project does explicitly
_not_ want inexperienced users, how does it expect to
gain experienced users?  The overwhelming majority of
users who learned and gained experience one one of
the other systems will see no reason to switch.

> In all of this we need to resist the temptation to argue for what works
> best for ourselves

...yet that appears to your basis of argument.

Anyway, I don't intend to enter a long discussion on
this, but I really do think that it's in the project's
interest to strike a better balance and to consider
usability by non-experts.

-Jan